Preparing to move

On this page:

Your Cyprus SFA
Additional Needs
Dependant’s Status Stamp



Check them today!

You are responsible for ensuring that everyone in your family has a valid passport.

You can claim back the cost of your passport for all immediate family members where a renewal or initial application is necessary; your soldier’s Unit Admin Office (UAO) will guide you.

If someone in your family doesn’t have a British passport, you must ensure they have the right travel documentation (visas and the Cyprus Treaty of Establishment Status Stamp issued by MSS). Visit for all you need to know, or try the Foreign & Commonwealth section. 

Back to top


Your Cyprus SFA

In Cyprus, all Service Family Accommodation (SFA) allocations are processed through the individual Housing Community and Support Offices (HCSO). Complete MOD e1132 (Application to occupy Service Family Accommodation) at the earliest opportunity to help the HCSO assign suitable housing to you; the form is available from your current Unit Admin Office / Welfare Office.


  • SFA in Cyprus is not as plentiful as in other areas; whilst you will always be housed, you may not get the choice you expect.
  • You will be allocated the highest grade of accommodation available at the time of your arrival.
  • You cannot request a lower grade of accommodation; requests for accommodation above entitlement will be considered on an individual basis.

Click here for a list of all HCSOs and their corresponding contact details.

Please note: All SFA come fully furnished on arrival to allow for any delay in receiving your personal belongings. Once settled, you can request for some of the larger items of furniture to be removed. 

You will also receive a “Get-you-in-pack” containing duvets, sheets, pillows, an iron, crockery, cutlery, pans and a kettle.

Back to top



For information about the removal and storage of your personal and household effects or car removal, click here.

The average time for shipping is six weeks.

Back to top



MOD Schools provides a good range of both primary and secondary education in Cyprus; the schools follow the same curriculum as in England. Parents often say that the quality of schooling is one of the highlights of their posting to Cyprus.

For a full list of available MOD Schools in Cyprus, click here.

Primary education 
No matter where in Cyprus you are posted, your child will not have far to travel to get to school in the morning.

If you are posted to Nicosia with UNBRITCON, your child will most likely receive their education at Highgate School; please contact the AFF Cyprus team for more information.

AFF is represented on the School Governance Committee (SGC) of each primary school and has a firm grasp of the plans for the forthcoming year and beyond; if you have any queries or concerns about schooling, we can raise them at the relevant SGC meeting.

Secondary education 
Secondary education is provided through St John’s School, Episkopi, and King Richard’s School, Dhekelia.

All MOD Schools schools follow the same curriculum as schools in England, so there should be no gap in your child’s education; class sizes are much smaller and the schools have a real community feel and a positive atmosphere.

For details of current courses available to young people 16 years and over, visit 

Back to top



Each station has a crèche which is open for core hours – approx. 07:30 to 12:00 – but some offer a breakfast club from 06:30 to 08:00 and extended hours until 14:00.

Details of the four crèches are as follows:

  • Episkopi Early Years Crèche – Episkopi Station – Tel: 2596 8030
  • Dhekelia Early Years – Dhekelia Garrison – Tel: 2474 4183
  • Jumblies Crèche – Ayios Nikolaos – Tel: 2396 2321
  • First Steps Crèche – RAF Akrotiri – Tel: 2527 6579

If you are posted to Cyprus and have any questions about education, please contact AFF’s Education & Childcare Specialist at or for more general queries contact the Cyprus team at 

Back to top


Additional Needs

You should contact your relevant Housing Community and Support Officer (HCSO) giving advance warning of any additional needs that your family has; the earlier your needs and preferences for SFA are known, the easier it will be for the HCSOs to accommodate you and your family appropriately.

Additional medical needs
If you or a member of your family has an illness or condition that is being treated in the UK, it is very important that you confirm as soon as possible that you can be cared for in Cyprus by consulting your Unit Medical Officer or completing the medical screening forms issued as part of the process of booking your family’s flights. An existing registered additional need or medical condition will not usually prevent you from coming to Cyprus; however, there are some circumstances, and some illnesses, which cannot reasonably be treated with the facilities available in BFC.

Start this process as soon as possible because, for those few people who have to have their posting cancelled, it’s far worse if you have already packed up your old house, shipped belongings and given up jobs, or even have to be sent back home on arrival.

Special educational needs (SEN)
If your child has a significant level of SEN which you would like to be addressed by the school, or if they are on the SEN register or have a statement, you must get in touch with the Children’s Education Advisory Service (CEAS) to register your child and ensure that their needs can be catered for in Cyprus.

Contact the CEAS on 01980 618244, email or visit 

Back to top



There are two types of vehicle in Cyprus:

  • Duty Free – can only be sold to an entitled person
  • Duty Paid – can be purchased by anyone including Cypriots; these are normally more expensive due to the Import Duty.

Duty free vehicles
Note: a dependant cannot own and register a duty free vehicle.

Your relief from duty and VAT is subject to the following conditions:

  • That you submit a C104A, available from your nearest Customs Office, for clearance with the Republic of Cyprus Customs. Your soldier will need to provide a copy of the vehicle log book, their driving licence and valid vehicle insurance for the Republic of Cyprus.
  • Only your soldier and their dependants drive the vehicle (permission can be sought for visitors and on exceptional circumstances from the Fiscal Office).
  • The vehicle is registered in your soldier’s name within 28 days of purchase (or its arrival in Cyprus).

All duty free vehicles must be registered by your soldier; if your vehicle is already registered in the UK you will still be required to register the vehicle within 28 days of its arrival in Cyprus. There is a one off registration fee of €150.00.

Your vehicle will require a Cyprus MOT at a further cost of €35.00 (MOTs last for 2 years.) There is also a requirement to pay an annual road tax fee based upon the engine size.

For more information about driving in Cyprus, click here.

Bringing your car to Cyprus

If your car is on a finance agreement, you need to discuss exporting it with your finance company.

For more information, contact the Cyprus HIVEs or SEALIFT OPS - DE&S DSCOM at MOD Abbeywood on 030 6798 1138. 

Back to top



Your family must register with the unit medical centre on arrival in British Forces Cyprus (BFC).

Medical provision in BFC offers healthcare at least as good as in the UK from the NHS.

Occasionally, if your health needs cannot be met on the island, it will be necessary to return to the UK, either temporarily or sometimes on a permanent basis, to receive treatment.

There are military general practices at Akrotiri, Dhekelia and Episkopi. All three are accredited GP training practices. All hospital care in BFC is currently delivered through a contract with a Cypriot private hospital, the Ygia Polyclinic, based in Limassol.

Please note: If you are seriously injured or fall ill elsewhere in the Republic of Cyprus, you will most likely be taken to one of the local state hospitals where all costs will be paid by BFC. If you intend to travel to North Cyprus you are entering a foreign country that is not part of the EC. Your entitlement to medical care at BFC expense ceases at the border and the EHIC card is not accepted. Therefore whilst in North Cyprus, it is essential that you take out appropriate health insurance. 

Back to top



We strongly recommend you to insure your belongings whilst they are in transit, in storage and in use while in Cyprus. Visit for a variety of insurance options tailored to the Armed Forces.

Many UK household contents insurers won’t provide cover for your belongings while overseas so shop around.

Don’t forget travel insurance to cover your family during your move – you never know what could happen!

All EU travellers should apply for a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) which provides access to certain services within the Cypriot health care system. This is particularly important if you receive visitors while in Cyprus as they will not be able to access free healthcare via the medical centre. Visit for more information. 

Back to top



Want to bring your pet to Cyprus? Fill in the pet’s section (Annex B) of the MOD F1132. Ensure they have an up-to-date pet passport which can be obtained from a vet; visit for all you need to know.

If your pet has a pet passport, is micro-chipped and has had a rabies vaccination at least one month but not more than one year before the flight, then it can enter Cyprus without any form of quarantine; this rule might change so please check with us/DEFRA for up-to-date information before you organise travel for your pet.

Your pet must have flea, tick and worm treatment 24 to 48 hours before the flight otherwise, you will have to pay a further 50 euros at the airport and your pet may be subject to one month in quarantine in Cyprus from the date of import.

Your vet will fill in the relevant pages of the pet passport and stamp and date it to prove this has been done.

For advice on obtaining flights from the UK and a list of shipping companies to consider, contact the British (Forces) Animal Rehoming Centre (BARC) in Episkopi on 00 357 2596 3934 or visit On arrival in Cyprus, register your dog with your Sovereign Base Area Administration (SBAA) Office, either in Dhekelia or Akrotiri, at a cost of 27 Euros. This gives you a dog licence that must be renewed annually.

Once your dog has been registered with the SBAA, you are required to register it for free at your Housing Community Support Office (HCSO). They will then issue an identity tag for its collar so, if it runs away, it can easily be identified.

For more information about keeping pets in Cyprus, click here.  

Back to top


Dependant’s Status Stamp

Before moving to Cyprus, get your Dependant’s Status Stamp from the Families Section at Abbeywood. This is normally done through your UAO as part of your soldier’s posting process. 

This will give you tax free entitlements and access to the military trooping aircraft; it is imperative that this is done at the earliest opportunity by contacting the following 030679 81013 or 

Dependant children over 18 years

If you have a child over 18 years and not in full-time education they can still live with you provided the Station Commander and Housing Community Support Officer (HCSO) grant permission, based on your application; access to the serving parent’s Station will be afforded to that individual.

However, this will not entitle them to dependency status in terms of the following:

  • Military/Civil Service allowances
  • Free military medical and dental cover
  • Employment in UK dependant posts
  • Travel at public expense on the Trooper flight
  • Travel on the Trooper at the reduced rate

It will also mean they are ineligible for employment in the Republic of Cyprus.

Please note: You must give considerable thought to the impact these stipulations might have on your adult child, should he/she choose to accompany you to Cyprus. 

Back to top



You are entitled to allowances such as Get You Home (Overseas) Allowance and Local Overseas Allowance (LOA) while in Cyprus. These allowances are designed to offset some of the extra costs of living abroad as a family. 

LOA recognises the amount by which average day-to-day living costs in a particular overseas location differ from those in the UK and takes into account the differences in local lifestyle where appropriate. It isn't a financial incentive for overseas service or a second income supplement. LOA is calculated by comparing the costs of a wide range of goods and services with similar ones in the UK.

We don't publish details of the allowances available because they are renewed regularly and there is a danger of providing you with out of date information. Please contact us at and we will get back to you with the most recent rates.

The LOA rates for Cyprus are scheduled to be updated in October 2015.


Back to top

Share this page