Top Tips - Life in Northern Ireland
Top tips for your posting to Northern Ireland
If you’re just beginning your Northern Ireland (NI) posting - read on for some handy hints and tips to help you embrace your time there, get out and enjoy all NI has to offer!
- Remember Northern Ireland is classed as UK, so no need to change your clocks or buy euros – yes, here at AFF, we have been asked this!
- Removals can take up to ten working days; remember this when booking move-in/move-out, hotels, welfare houses and ferries
- Northern Ireland is not to be mistaken for Ireland, many people say they are moving to Ireland but they are two very different places
- Get out and see the sites! Local people will tell you you’re only 45 minutes from everything – Giant’s Causeway, Games of Thrones set, Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge and beautiful beaches to name a few
- Don't drive? SSAFA offers discounted driving lessons to spouses once you are living here
- People in Northern Ireland are very friendly; this is not to be seen as nosey it’s just the way they are!
- Be prepared for the wet weather. Make sure you are fully kitted out with waterproofs, umbrellas and wellies before moving over
- Living in Northern Ireland is very community orientated; there are lots of activities run by the staff on all camps, and plenty of opportunities to get involved if you want to.