Education & Childcare

General - Childline charity website. Tel: 0800 1111 - Keeping your children safe online. - Advice and information for families, whenever you need it. - Supporting children who have lost a parent whilst serving in the Armed Forces. - MKC Heroes (Formally HMS Heroes) is a national support group for Service children. A tri-Service network of after-school clubs, MKC Heroes brings together members of Service families aged 3-18 years old from all over the country. Members are ambassadors and young advocates for Service families across the United Kingdom, and most importantly, they are friends who are there for each other, especially in times of need. - The Army Children Archive.

Under fives - Supports families with one or more children under five, in a variety of ways. - The Pre-school Learning Alliance is the largest early year’s membership organisation and voluntary sector provider of quality, affordable childcare and education in England. - Family and Childcare Trust aims to make the UK a better place for families through research, campaigning and information provision, and working with government, employers and parents to reduce pressures on family life. 

Childcare 0-12 - Professional Association for Childcare and Early Years. - Northern Ireland Child-minding Association. - Scottish Child-Minding Association. - Information and registration for childminders in Wales. - International Au Pair Association. - Information on life, including schooling and childcare, from a working parent’s point of view. 

Schools - eAdmissions website - 33 London authorities and Surrey County Council are working together to make it easier for parents and carers to apply for school places. - MOD moving schools pack. - Pupil information profile for Service children moving schools, covering the whole of the UK and MOD Schools. - Information on all state and independent schools and has information about the curriculum in England. - School search website. - Government school search for England - also with links for the devolved administrations. 

Boarding schools - State Boarding Schools Association. The education is state funded and parents only pay for board and lodging. You will need to look at these if you are considering boarding. - Queen Victoria School for Children of Scottish and Scottish-based Armed Forces personnel. The only MOD school in the UK. - The Boarding School Association website with search facility and links to school websites. - ISBI (independent, special boarding and international), enables you to search for boarding schools according to different criteria such as area, type of school, bursaries etc. The best advanced search for Armed Forces bursaries that we have found so far. - Independent Schools Inspectorate to read inspection reports on all independent schools. - Boarding school directory. Also produces the Service parents’ guide to boarding schools magazine that is usually possible to pick up in the HIVE. - A growing website for searching for boarding schools. Particularly good for Scotland and Wales.

Further education - This is the route for young people to get into university or college in the UK. - University of Winchester’s work with Service children.

Special Educational Needs - Council for disabled children is the umbrella body for the disabled children's sector bringing together professionals, practitioners and policy-makers with a wealth of information for parents. - Information, Advice and Support Service Network (IASS network) - formally the National Parent Partnership Network. IAS Services offer information, advice and support for disabled children and young people, and those with SEN, and their parents. This is a link to a map of their contact details across the country. - Independent Parental Special Education Advice (IPSEA) who advise on SEN. They have lots of free advice on their website including legal questions, EHC assessments and plans, a jargon buster and information on how to make a complaint. - Contact a Family brings families together in order to support one another. Their website has medical info as well as a section entitled ‘know your rights’. - Dyslexia Action provides support, assessments and tuition through national learning centres, through online distance learning and in schools across the country, and undertake research and campaigning to improve the lives of those affected by dyslexia.

Funding and Grants - Sodexo Armed Forces Childcare Vouchers - Armed Forces Bereavement Scholarship Scheme (AFBSS) for further education and university scholarships for bereaved Service children. - Forces Children Education Trust exists to assist in funding the education of dependants of Servicemen and women, both currently serving and retired. Grants are available to those up to the age of 25. - The Royal Caledonian Education Trust is an education trust supporting the children of Scots who are serving, or who have served, in the Armed Forces. - Family Fund provides grants for families raising disabled or seriously ill children and young people across the UK.

Scotland - Scotland's Commissioner for Children and Young People makes sure all children and young people in Scotland have their rights respected. - Information for parents on Scottish Education. - Scottish family information service. - Scottish advice service for additional support for learning.

Northern Ireland - Family Support services in Northern Ireland. - Northern Ireland information service for families. 

Wales - A Service parents' guide to schools and education in Wales. - The Children’s Commissioner for Wales.

England - The website of the Children’s Commissioner, promoting and protecting children’s rights in England. - Office for standards in education (Ofsted). Inspection reports on individual schools. - Parents can review and leave feedback about their school. 


Back to top

More useful links


For your information we provide links to external websites. Please note that the Army Families Federation is not responsible for the content or reliability of any of these external websites and therefore does not officially endorse any information, products or services they might offer.