Information for families during the coronavirus outbreak


01   Enhanced support for Service personnel during COVID-19 pandemic

The MOD has released a new letter detailing the most up to date  allowance support for Service personnel during the COVID-19 pandemic. This provides extra support and guidance for those overseas and in the UK where they face difficulties due to COVID-19 and increased support and flexibility to a number of other allowances which are affected by COVID-19.

All allowances listed in the letter can be checked here: Tri-service regulations for expenses and allowances (JSP 752) – GOV.UK

The MOD has released a directed letter giving further enhancements to the interim arrangements for school children’s visits (SCVs).

Guidance has now been released by the MOD for families overseas who returned to the UK and, due to COVID-19, are stranded and unable to return overseas, but were not evacuated. This provides extra support for families in several areas such as subsistence, accommodation costs and Local Overseas Allowance (LOA). For more details and information on eligibility, please click here.

The MOD has released a letter which gives increased support and flexibility to a number of allowances which are affected by COVID-19. These include if the serving person is self-isolating or sick, or if you are required to relocate and your move is affected due to COVID-19.

Back to top

02   COVID-19 testing

The MOD has released an updated letter with information for Service personnel and their immediate family on claiming back COVID-19 test costs when returning to the UK.

From 14 May 2021, Service personnel and accompanied immediate family returning to the UK using Get You Home (Overseas) or Mid Tour Leave entitlements are eligible to claim back the cost of COVID-19 testing requirements in the country of their duty station and, in exceptional circumstances, quarantine subsistence costs.

Back to top

03   Are you and your family due to be posted overseas?

The MOD has released a directed letter which gives families, who have children or are CEA claimants, the option to serve unaccompanied and be classed as involuntarily separated (INVOLSEP). Originally this was until the end of April 2021. This has now been reviewed and extended until the end of August 2021.

If the option is taken, your family will be entitled to INVOLSEP rates of Longer Separation Allowance (LSA), unaccompanied rates of Local Overseas Allowance (LOA), and Get You Home Overseas (GYH(O)), and also retain eligibility for removals and Disturbance Expense (DE) for a delayed move.

Directed Letter – involuntarily separated status for service personnel being assigned overseas. Regulatory flexibility in response to coronavirus.

Back to top

04   CEA – regulatory flexibility in relation to COVID-19

A directed letter has been released on the increased flexibility introduced for arrangements for CEA in response to COVID-19. Read the letter: Directed Letter – continuity of Education Allowance (CEA) – regulatory flexibility in response to coronavirus (COVID-19) – (Update 2) – Annex B – (dated 23 February 2021) – GOV.UK (

Back to top

05   CEA Special Educational Needs Allowance (SENA)

DCYP has provided information and answers to commonly asked questions about SENA during COVID-19.4

Back to top

What our families say about AFF

“AFF - just a thank you for all that you do!!”

“What an awesome organisation”

“Thank you so much Army Families Federation!”

Find out more
11,177enquiries received in 2020
10,000+followers on Facebook
32,687unique website views during May