Easier access to social housing registers for separated spouses

Separated and divorced spouses should now have easier access to social housing registers thanks to a change in guidance just announced.

In 2013 AFF wrote our first brief on the issues faced by spouses and civil partners leaving SFA after separation when trying to access social housing registers if they had no local connection.

Later, some local authorities changed their allocation policy to include this group, but many did not. So AFF pushed further and the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government put out a consultation paper last year asking for views on this.

The outcome of the consultation has just been published and the new statutory guidance states: ‘The Secretary of State strongly encourages local authorities to exempt from any local connection requirements divorced or separated spouses or civil partners of Service personnel who need to move out of accommodation provided by the Ministry of Defence.’

This should help this group onto a housing register but will not give them priority over non-military families.

See Leaving SFA as a divorced spouse/separated civil partner.


Share a thought

Providing an email address is optional and it will not be published, however we may use it to contact you to help with your enquiry. Please see our Privacy Policy.

Back to top

What our families say about AFF

“I truly appreciate the work that you all do.”

“Thank you for all the guidance and support. You have been amazing.”

“Your professionalism in this matter was more than welcoming”

Find out more
8,669enquiries received from Apr 21 to Mar 22
12,500+followers on Facebook
51,521unique website views during July
9,500+followers on Twitter