Military families and UK student finance – what you need to know

If you are a mobile military family living in SFA and you or your child are applying for student finance in the UK, you will need to apply for funding from the nation where your soldier lived at the time they joined the Army. This is because SFA is not considered to be an ordinary residence.

For example, if you are living in a quarter in Wales but your soldier lived in Scotland when they joined up, you need to apply to the Student Awards Agency Scotland (SAAS) for funding, even if you want to go to university elsewhere in the UK.

If you are living in your own home or private rental accommodation, you can apply to whichever nation you live in.

The four funding streams which manage UK student finance are: Student Finance England, Student Finance Wales, Student Finance Northern Ireland and SAAS.

What is available differs depending on the provider and, depending upon your circumstances, you may not be given enough finance to cover study at the university of your choice.

If you are having any difficulties applying, or you need advice or further details, contact


Back to top

What our families say about AFF

“I truly appreciate the work that you all do.”

“Thank you for all the guidance and support. You have been amazing.”

“Your professionalism in this matter was more than welcoming”

Find out more
8,850enquiries received from Apr 22 to Mar 23
13,000+followers on Facebook
39,000website views in October
9,500+followers on Twitter