New cohabitation rules for those in a long-term relationship

On 1 April 2019, the MOD’s policy on cohabitation in Service Family Accommodation (SFA) in UK changed. 

Now, if your soldier has served for four or more years and can demonstrate they’re in a Long-Term Relationship (LTR), then they’ll be eligible to apply to cohabit with you in surplus SFA, where it’s available

Soldiers eligible to cohabit won’t hold entitlement to SFA and so, if there is no surplus SFA at their place of work (i.e. within 50 miles of their posting location), they won’t be able to access SFA or Substitute SFA (a hiring). 

Soldiers with PStatCat2 – primary parental responsibility – can also apply in accordance with this policy. 

Click here for more details.



    WE are our own country..and my husband is posted in the UK army…and living thier..we have a child…and we living in our homeland..when we get divorced how would any women..fight for her child well-being and would she get any support from the army.

    Hi Lusi,
    Yes. If you have children and they live with you most of the time, then the soldier has a legal responsibility to support them. Click here to find out more:

    If the soldier consistently fails to meet their financial responsibilities in respect of their children, the Child Maintenance and Enforcement Commission (CMEC) may make a Deduction from Earnings Request (DER) against the serving person.

    If you are overseas and wish to enforce a Foreign Court Order to compel the soldier to make payments, you will first need to have the order registered in a UK court. This is done through the central authority (or local courts) in your home country and the UK REMO unit (Reciprocal Enforcement of Maintenance Orders).

Share a thought

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top

What our families say about AFF

“AFF - just a thank you for all that you do!!”

“What an awesome organisation”

“Thank you so much Army Families Federation!”

Find out more
12,563enquiries received in 2018
3,284responses to our Big Survey 2018
33,342 unique website views during April
100%positive feedback at our Foreign & Commonwealth events in 2018