Unit move FAQs


Are you moving as part of a unit move?

Whilst each unit move will have its own specific details, AFF has put together a generic list of housing FAQs to help you understand what will happen in the run up to, and during, your move.

Allocations for a unit move are done through your welfare team, not Amey.

Your Unit Welfare Officer (UWO) will be your first point of contact, so whether you have problems cleaning your SFA or you have an issue or requirement which needs to be taken into account for housing allocations, talk to them so that they can take your needs into consideration and get you the help you need to make your move as smooth as possible.

There are a number of welfare organisations who can advise you, and don’t forget that your local AFF Regional Lead is also there to help if you have any concerns.

Please check our COVID-19 section for up-to-date information, as the coronavirus outbreak may affect the advice given on this page.


01   Definitions

  • Proxy: someone who attends a move-in/move-out and acts on your behalf if you cannot attend. Only Service personnel or a spouse can be nominated as a proxy – during unit moves, the proxy will be someone from the Unit Welfare Team.
  • Accommodation Officer (AO): the person responsible for the local estate and who carries out the move-in and move-out appointments. In areas of high tempo you may see some Amey staff brought in to support the AO.
  • Amey: the contractor, working on behalf of the Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO), who is responsible for allocations, repairs, maintenance, move appointments, and the provision of SFA furniture.
  • Walk away cleaning scheme: if you use this voluntary scheme to pay for cleaning you will be guaranteed not to be charged for cleanliness issues on move out, although you will continue to be responsible for damages caused and other deficiencies.
  • Back to back move – when the period of time between a move out and a move in is less than 15 working days.
  • 14 day observation report: this if for you to record any defects found in your SFA within 14 days of moving in. As a general rule of thumb, use it to record anything you don’t want to be charged for at move-out (dents in walls, broken tiles etc.) Don’t use it to record issues which need to be repaired – these should be reported to the Amey helpdesk.
Back to top

02   How is housing allocated for a unit move?

The welfare team will work out how many families are moving, and how many and what type of SFA are needed to accommodate families. If you have any particular needs, make sure that you let the welfare team know well in advance to that they can take these into consideration. This list is sent to the Amey Occupancy Services (AOS) team who identify SFA to fulfil the requirements of the unit. Once provisionally allocated, this list is sent to the welfare team who will then allocate them to the families and will notify you of your address.

Back to top

03   Can I change my allocation?

Given the high number of moves and the availability of SFA, it will be difficult to change your allocation. All relevant information should have been given to the Unit Welfare Officer (UWO) at the start of the allocation process, however, if family circumstances have changed then make sure that you discuss this with your welfare team so that they can try to help you.

Back to top

04   Who is our main point of contact during a unit move?

Your welfare team will be your main point of contact during a unit move and they will be able to contact Amey for you if necessary.

Back to top

05   Why can’t we use the walk-away cleaning scheme if we are in a back-to-back move?

This scheme has a contractual agreement that the cleaners will be allowed 15 days; a back-to-back move is one which has less than 15 days between move-out and move-in so the scheme cannot be used. The final decision will be made by the Accommodation Officer (AO) at the pre-move-out (PMO) appointment.

Back to top

06   What cleaners can we use if we can’t use the walk-away scheme?

Each area will have different arrangements and you will be advised of these by your UWO.

Back to top

07   Will there be enough AOs to do all of the move-ins and move-outs?

Yes – Amey have committed to recruiting extra AOs or using those from other areas that have capacity to help out with unit moves.

Back to top

08   Do we have to have a pre-move-out (PMO) appointment?

Yes, this is an important appointment.

Back to top

09   What happens at a PMO appointment?

The AO will go through the house with you and discuss what needs to be done to bring the property up to move-out standard. The AO will give you a breakdown of charges for the issues identified and if you haven’t sorted them by move out you will be charged that amount. This is a very useful time for the AO as it gives them the opportunity to assess if the SFA needs painting or new carpets so that this can be planned to coincide with move-out. Click here for more details.

Back to top

10   Who can we use to do a proxy move-out or move-in?

During unit moves, many SFA will be handed over at different times to your moving dates and the proxy will be a member of the welfare team.

Back to top

11   Do we need to get our proxy to see the house before we move out?

Yes, it is advisable to get the welfare team to visit your SFA before you leave so that they can agree that all works detailed at the PMO have been done and that the SFA is clean.

Back to top

12   What happens if the proxy agrees with us that it is clean but the AO doesn’t?

The welfare team will be responsible for bringing the SFA up to move-out standard.

Back to top

13   Could I be charged on move-out?

So long as you rectify any issues identified at the PMO, and leave the SFA clean as per the Amey tick sheet, you will not be charged at move-out.

Back to top

14   What happens if I get charged on move-out?

You will be sent a letter detailing the charges and telling you how to challenge them if you don’t agree. There is a strict timeline for challenging the charge, so make sure you respond within this timeframe otherwise the charges will be taken from your soldier’s pay. Click here for more details.

Back to top

15   If a family moves out and the SFA fails, will it all be sorted before the next family moves in?

Amey will have enough staff to be able to do emergency works and cleaning so that the SFA is ready for move-in.

Back to top

16   How will a proxy move-in be done?

The proxy will attend the move-in with the AO, and the AO will go through the move-in process with them as usual. Click here for more details.

Back to top

17   Does Amey still have 24 hours to rectify any issues found at move-in?

If the move is a normal move, then any issues identified at move-in will be rectified within 24 hours; if it is a back-to-back move-in, these will be reported as urgent issues to the helpdesk and will be rectified within five days.

Back to top

18   Do we need to do a 14 day report?

Yes, if you identify issues during the first 14 days it is very important to complete a report as it identifies issues with the SFA on move-in so that you aren’t charged for them on move-out. Remember that, unlike a 14 day report abroad, in the UK it won’t generate repairs so anything which needs repairing (like a leaking tap) needs to be reported to the Amey helpdesk on 0800 707 6000 Option 1. Click here for more details.

Back to top

19   Does a 14 day report generate repairs?

No. To report repairs, call Amey on 0800 707 6000

Back to top

20   What information will we be given at move-in if a proxy took over the SFA for us?

Your proxy will give you the keys and show you, amongst other things how the boiler and cooker work, where the fuse box is and where the stop cock is and the gas box etc.

Back to top

21   Who do we report issues to if we aren’t happy with the cleanliness or condition of our SFA?

Report all issues to Amey on 0800 707 6000 and Option 5 – log a complaint and make sure that you get a reference number. Click here for more details on how to contact Amey.

Back to top

22   How do we challenge the grading of our new SFA?

If you feel that your SFA is not at the correct grade for charge on move in you have 28 days to challenge the grading from receipt of the grading letter. For more information, click here.

Back to top

23   What will happen if the SFA has an uninhabitable fault at move-in?

Depending on the severity of the issue, you will either be put up in a welfare house (if available) or a hotel by Amey and your removals delayed or put in storage until the issue has been resolved; if there are suitable unallocated SFA in the area, you may be given one of these instead. Properties are prepared and inspected in advance to avoid this situation, but if an issue did arise your UWO and AO will liaise closely with you to resolve this as quickly as possible.

Back to top

24   How do I complain if I am unhappy with the service provided and what is the process?

In the first instance, telephone Amey on 0800 707 6000. The Amey and DIO SFA websites outline the complaints process, which should be followed to ensure complaints are recorded and investigated properly.

Back to top

25   Do I need to change my plugs to the country specific fitting?

Yes. AFF has received reports of families not correctly converting their plugs for UK use. In one instance, an Amey operative cut the plug off an appliance that had a two pin plug fitted as it was being dangerously adapted using a match stick.

Amey will not ignore this type of practice. Aside from possibly resulting in electric shock or fire, it may also invalidate your home and contents insurance.

Adapting your appliances for in country use:

  • For the short term on arrival you can use a conversion plug. They can be fitted easily, quickly and safely, and will make the appliance safe for use in the relevant sockets.
  • Check that the type of conversion plug you use is suitable for the plug and always follow the manufacturer’s instructions when fitting it.
  • Do not use travel adaptors long term. They are not a suitable or safe alternative for continuous use.

What is a fuse and why is it important?

It is a safety device fitted in all UK 13A plugs and EU conversion plugs which protects the cable from taking too much electric current and overheating; it will cut off an electrical current in the event of a fault. Lack of fuse protection increases the risk of fire in EU conversion plugs.

Back to top

What our families say about AFF

“AFF - just a thank you for all that you do!!”

“What an awesome organisation”

“Thank you so much Army Families Federation!”

Find out more
11,177enquiries received in 2020
10,500+followers on Facebook
22,409unique website views during December
9,500+followers on Twitter